An easy way to make a casserole with smaller bits of venison for a hearty tasty meal.
- 500 gr venison
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 rashers bacon
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 pieces if orange peel removed with veg peeler
- 2 shakes of aromatic / angostura bitters (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- a small bunch of thyme
- oil to saute
- flour to dust meat
- salt and pepper to season.
- In a frying pan saute the onion,garlic and carrot with chopped bacon in a little oil.
- Tip into a cooking pot.
- Dust the venison with a little flour and brown in batches.
- Add to the pot.
- De-glaze the frying pan with the beef stock and add it to the pot.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into the pot and season.
- Simmer gently with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the pot to the Heylo bag and do up the Velcro tabs.
- Close the drawstring and push the beads up around the pot to fully insulate it.
- Leave for 3 hours for the meat to carry on cooking.
- You can add green vegetables at the end of cooking time.
- Place the veg on top of the stew and bring back to the boil for a few minutes then seal up in the Heylo bag for a further 10 minutes,
- Serve with fluffy mashed potatoes or rice.
- The aromatic bitters is optional but adds a " Hmmm whats that flavour "element.
- Prunes also add a lovely richness to the dish.
- Add a handful of halved prunes to the pot with the meat .
- No need to thicken this dish as the flour will make a good gravy.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/