STICKY DATE PUDDING
Ive gilded the pudding in this photo by adding slices of pears- browned in bubbling hot butter - to the base of the pudding bowl.
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 3/4 cups flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 flat teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts – optional - but use for a Christmas pudding
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ¼ cup brandy - optional
- Put the water and dates into a medium pot and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat off and smash up with a fork.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda. The mixture will froth up.
- In the pot and add the eggs sugar and butter.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and nuts if using.
- Spoon the mixture into a ceramic or glass 2 ½ cup pudding bowl.
- Put the bowl into a pot of warm water, the water to come ¾ way up the dish.
- Put a round of baking paper on top of the bowl. It will stick to the pudding.
- Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Transfer the pot with pudding into a Heylo bag seal up well and allow to stand for 2 hours .
- Open the bag and remove the bowl .Slowly pour the hot syrup onto the pudding.
- Allow to cool. Turn out .
- Serve with ice-cream or custard.
- Add some brandy ( 1/4 cup) to the syrup for an alternate lighter Christmas pudding, but then why wait for Christmas?
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/