Summertime favorite to use up that garden abundance.Make extra and store for winter. Freezes beautifully.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 medium courgettes
- 1 red capsicum
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- or I can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A handful of pitted black kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A little water to just below the top of the vegetables
- A sprig of thyme and sage
- Chop vegetables into largish chunks.
- In a large frying pan heat a little olive oil.
- Saute each type of vegetable separately in some hot oil.
- You may need more olive oil for the eggplant.
- Transfer each batch to a medium size pot.
- Saute the garlic and add the tomatoes.
- Season this mixture and add the herbs .
- Toss over the vegetables in the pot.
- Give a quick mix.
- Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Transfer the pot to a Heylo Bag.
- Do up the Velcro tabs.
- Close the bag securely with the ribbon.
- Push the beads up to fully insulate the pot.
- Leave undisturbed for 3 hours.
- At the end of this time the vegetables are tender and flavors amalgamated.
- Enjoy the mixed flavors of summer. .
- I like to add the olives for extra zing.
- A little sugar added to a tomato dish takes away the acidity.
- Use as a side dish, a vegetarian dish,or on pasta.
- Lovely cold for a picnic.
- Freezes beautifully.
- In winter defrost use as a hearty soup by adding some extra liquid, and serve with crusty bread.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/