ORIENTAL BEEF CASSEROLE
An easy quick meal after the initial marinading period.
- 750 gr. lean beef cubed
- ¼ cup kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) (or ½ cup light soy sauce & 2 Tablespoons honey)
- 1 Tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sake (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons grated ginger
- 8 chopped spring onions
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ cups beef stock – to barely cover
- Spring onion to garnish
- In a glass bowl mix the kecap manis, vinegar, sake and fish sauce.
- Add the meat cubes and toss well.
- Cover and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and reserve the marinade to use later.
- In a frying pan brown the meat in 3 batches adding a tablespoon of oil to the hot frying pan each time.
- Put the browned meat into a medium size pot.
- Fry the garlic and ginger for a few minutes then add the cloves, spring onions and stock to deglaze the pan.
- Pour over the meat in the pot.
- Add the reserved marinade.
- Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Place the pot into a heylo bag.
- Close securely with the Velcro tabs and do up the drawstring.
- Bring the beads up from the base and make sure they are evenly distributed.
- Leave undisturbed to carry on cooking for 2 hours.
- Serve with rice and garnish with some spring onion tops.
- Kecap Manis is an Indonesian sweet soy sauce with a molasses consistency and a dark brown color. Flavored with garlic, star anise, soybeans, and palm sugar, the sauce is more syrupy and complex than commonplace soy sauce.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/