ORANGE ALMOND CAKE - gluten free
This cake uses a Heylo bag so cook the orange in just 10 minutes ( saving 1 hour cooking time) Times are for the orange cooking.
- 1 whole orange - pre boiled in Heylo bag
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (Edmonds is GF)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- SYRUP AND GARNISH
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 orange cut into slices
- TO BOIL THE ORANGE
- Bring the orange to the boil in a pot with cold water to cover.
- Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Keep the lid onto maintain the heat and steam in the pot.
- Put the pot with the orange in it into a heylo bag.
- Close the Velcro tabs and do up the drawstring.
- Push the beads up from the base of the bag to fully insulate the pot.
- If the pot is small, scrunch up the top of the bag and secure tightly with an elastic band or with the ribbon.
- Leave undisturbed for an hour.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Butter the sides and base of a 22cm round cake tin.
- Blend the cooled orange in a food processor or with a wiz stick till smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar really well till light and fluffy.
- Carefully fold in the almonds, baking powder and the orange puree till just combined.
- The mix will be quite fluffy.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes till a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Cool
- TO GLAZE
- In a small saucepan dissolve the sugar in the orange juice.
- Add the orange slices and cook for 5 minutes till the juice thickens slightly.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving plate and prick the top with a toothpick.
- Pour over the syrup and garnish the top with orange slices.
- Enjoy with a serving of plain yoghurt on the side.
- This cake will keep in the fridge for a while but best eaten when fresh.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/