I have adapted this recipe for use in a Heylo bag, but it needs very careful attention as it is tricky and could overcook. Experimentation needed.
- 1/4 cup sugar -to make the caramel
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar ( more if you prefer)
- Make the caramel by melting 1/4 cup of sugar in a small heavy duty frying pan.
- Shake the pan occasionally.
- It will melt and become runny.
- Do not allow it to brown or burn.
- Pour this into the base of a bowl..
- Set aside while making the custard.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients..(add enough sugar to your preference )
- Pour this on top of the set caramel in your bowl.
- Put the bowl into a pot of hot water.
- The water should come 3/4 of the way up your dish
- .Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes -being careful not to allow the water to bubble into your custard.
- During this time give a couple of quick but gentle stirs to mix the milk.
- Cover with a round of baking paper the size of your dish.
- Put the lid on your pot and briefly allow the steam to build up in the pot.
- Put the pot with hot water and bowl into a Heylo bag and leave for 2 hours.
- Cool immediately in a basin of cold water ...
- When cold chill in the fridge.preferably overnight to help set the custard.
- Invert onto a plate to serve.
- All I can say its worth the effort , Just make sure you don't over cook it .The milk should not boil .As soon as you see it starting to thicken when giving a gentle stir, that's time to put the lid on and after a moment transfer the pot to the Heylo bag to do its thing setting.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/