This is a great "cook and walk away" recipe. 15 minutes cooking replaces 3 hours. An oldie but a goodie.Serve with sweet and tangy mustard.
- 1kg corned beef (silverside)
- 2 lemon leaves
- Sprig parsley
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 T golden syrup
- 1 strip thin orange rind
- 1 T malt vinegar
- Put the corned beef in a small saucepan.
- Put in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add water to just cover.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Put the pot with the meat and water into the Heylo bag.
- Close the bag and seal up tight.
- Leave in the bag for 3 hours.
- Serve with sweet and tangy mustard.
- Depending on the size of your corned beef and pot size the cooking times may vary.
- I find 15 minutes and 3 hours is good for a smallish piece of corned beef.
- If at the end of this time you feel it is not cooked enough you could bring it back to the boil for a further 5 minutes and leave it to stand for a further 2 hours.
- Or cook longer initially say for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Watch the level of the water with extended cooking time and top up with boiling water as needed.
- I have done this late in the evening and left it in a Heylo bag overnight.
- Some people like to pre- soak the meat for a few hours to make it less salty.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/