CHICKEN MUSHROOM AND BACON PIE
First cook the chicken breasts by adding them to simmering stock.Allow the stock to come back to simmer for a few minutes with the chicken breasts in..Put the pot of stock and chicken breasts in the Heylo bag for 1/2hour to cook the chicken breasts.Do not overcook as they will cook some more in the pie. While this is cooking in the Heylo bag prepare the sauce.
- 500 gr chicken breasts
- 2 cups of chicken stock - to cover.
- 1onion roughly diced
- 1 carrot roughly diced
- 1 stalk of celery.
- 8 mushrooms sliced.
- 4 rashers rind-less bacon cut in pieces.
- Butter to saute the above.
- 1/4 cup defrosted peas.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- egg and a little milk for brushing over pastry.
- Cook the chicken breasts as above in a Heylo bag.
- Then in a large frying pan saute the vegetables in butter in batches.
- Set aside after cooking with the defrosted peas.
Make the sauce
- Melt the butter in the pan and the flour and cook together a few minutes.
- Add the stock and allow to thicken.
- Add the cream.
- Mix with the diced cooked chicken and the sauted vegetables.
- Put into a deep round or oval casserole dish.
- Cover with chilled ,rolled out pastry.
- Brush the top with the egg wash.
- Pole a few holes in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes till the top is golden.
- This recipe can be made as a casserole to be served with rice or potatoes.
- If making it into a pie serve with some colourful vegetables on the side.
- Individual pies are good too served with a salad.
- See HASTY TASTY PASTRY for the pastry.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/