BAKED BEANS FOR VEGETARIANS
This is similar to Heylo baked beans but its a vegetarian version. You can use dried beans that have been cooked in a Heylo bag.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 2 tins broad or cannelloni beans
- 1 cup of water or less
- Saute onion in a pot.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add enough water just to cover.
- Put the lid on.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put into the Heylo bag and tie up securely.
- Leave for 2 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream/ yoghurt and some crusty bread. Enjoy.
- To use dried beans. Soak beans 8 hours or overnight in plenty of water. Wash the soaked beans and bring to the boil in fresh water. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Put securely into a Heylo bag. Leave all night or up to 5 hours.
- For this recipe, after soaking and cooking the dried beans , drain the cooked beans and then proceed as in the recipe above.Replace the canned beans with your precooked dried beans.
- 1 cup of dried beans will give you just over 2 cups of cooked beans.
Heylo Bags http://heylobags.co.nz/